1 Who discourage or do not allow you to visit their home or kennel or meet their own PONs.
2. Do not seem as interested in meeting you as you are meeting them
3. Pressure you to try and buy a puppy , especially if you are just beginning and learning to look and learn about the breed
4. Has puppies that don't in a short time seem to warm up to you or appear to be friendly (They may be initially a little stand-offish)
5. Who don't have your paperwork ready when you get your puppy. AKC recommends you get registration papers at the time of sale and they be completely filled out.. You should also receive a contract and a three to five generation pedigree.
6. Spend time degrading other breeders or discourage you from contacting other breeders
7. Are not willing to discuss possible health issues in the breed or in their own PONs in particular
8. Are unwilling to give you the name(s) of other reliable breeders as well as referrals to other reliable breeders who already have puppies
9. Don't seem that interested in you, your family, and your lifestyle
10. Show no interest in matching you to the puppy with the correct temperament for you
11. Do not explain that color and markings may not be the most important aspect in choosing a puppy that's right for you
12. Will sell you a puppy and should you decide to breed expect to get another puppy in return. You really would be paying for two pups and only getting one
13. Will insist on co-owning a puppy with no opportunity to change that status. There are many ramnifications and legalities when co-ownership is involved so talk to people and make sure you understand them before you agree to co-own
14. Try to push you into showing or some other activity when all you want is a pet
15. You do NOT feel comfortable with. There may be time when you need advice or assitance and it is important you receive it. You may want to receive referrals and before if the tendency is for those who tend to oversell.